Kitchen Cautions During the Holidays
Thanksgiving was the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas Day and Christmas Eve. Any idea what the leading cause of the fires could be? Its Leaving the cooking food unattended. (Source: National Fire Protection Association)
Its important to be alert while cooking to prevent fires. Would you know what to do if a fire broke out in your kitchen?
If you have a cooking fire, consider the following safety protocol to help keep you and your family safe.
- Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number after you leave.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smoother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stove top. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled
Your local SERVPRO of West Brevard wishes you a safe and happy holiday season.